Yellowtail Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
379 Litres (100 US G.)
20.3-25.4cm (8-10 ")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Additional scientific names
- Acanthurus xanthurus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Western Indian Ocean: Red Sea to the Persian Gulf.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Purple Tangs can be very aggressive to other Tangs, particularly to towards other Zebrosoma species.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A herbivorous fish, will take dried seaweed, marine algae, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, blanched Romaine Lettuce or fresh seaweed.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Ideally they should be fed everyday with 3-4 supplemental feedings of dried algae.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- They are sensitive to water quality, needs an SG of 1.020 - 1.025. As with all Tangs, they need relatively large tanks, over 284 Litres (75 US G.).
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- It does get territorial and can be aggressive to new additions to the tank as it gets older. Should not be kept with similarly shaped Tangs.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- They have a deep purple-blue body with a bright yellow tail and bright yellow accents on the pectoral fins. They have a single spine (or “scalpel”) on each side used for defence.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )