Rock Beauty (Holacanthus tricolor)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Rock Beauty)
454 Litres (120 US G.)
30-35 cm (11.8-13.8")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
- Rock Beauty, Rock Beauty Angelfish, Yellow Nanny
Additional scientific names
- Chaetodon tricolor, Pomacanthus tricolor
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This fish is best kept as the only Angelfish in a tank as it can be territorial towards con-specifics. It is not reef safe as it will nip at corals. Very young fish may try and feed on tank mate's slime coats.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to feed in captivity, it mainly grazes on sponges in the wild. Feed vegetable matter such as spirulina and seaweed as well as finely chopped meaty foods. Also available are specialised Angelfish prepared foods containing sponges, these are recommended.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed two to three times a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a very large mature tank with a large amount of live rock and hiding places.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A semi-aggressive Angelfish that may be territorial towards other Angelfish species.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The Rock Beauty Angelfish has a body that is predominately black especially on the back half, as an adult. The head and front half portion of the body and the caudal fin are a bright yellow. The eyes have striking sapphire-blue accents. Similar in appearance, the juvenile initially has a predominately yellow body with a large caudal black spot that just seems to enlarge, overwhelming, the yellow colouration with the exception of head, body area just behind the head, and the caudal fin.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )